Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Pork marinade

I recently posted a spectacular marinade for steak (beef) on Facebook.  Well, today I have another combination (not quite a recipe), but this time for pork.  For my cooking adventure, I was using thin-sliced center-cut pork chops cooked in a slow cooker (Crock Pot).  I plan to use again for thicker chops or possibly a roast.  My particular cut of meat and presentation was not photo worthy, but yummy!

Ingredients (other than pork)--roughly in order of content quantity:
Water
Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
sweet onion--1 thick slice lightly chopped
minced garlic
dry mustard
black pepper
Tabasco sauce (hint/dash)

I mixed the marinade the night before and refrigerated to allow a good mixture, but I did not marinade the meat in advance because it was still thawing.  Not real sure a marinade is necessary when slow cooking anyway.  I would recommend a 2-6 hour (or overnight) marinade if choosing to bake, fry, broil, or grill the pork.

Quantity: for the slow cooker, I made sure to start with enough water to cover the pork.  From there, add BBQ sauce until appropriately flavorful (probably 1 cup per pound of meat--start with less and work up so as to avoid wasting the sauce). 1-2 slices of onion per pound of meat is fine, more or less to suit your taste.  Garlic--roughly 1 Tbls per pound of meat, or one clove if using fresh; I probably used 1 tsp. in my mixture.  The garlic is a companion in this sauce, not the main event. Dry mustard = 2 tsp per pound.  Black pepper: probably 1 tsp, but I imagine up to 1 Tbls would be fine.  Tabasco: use your judgment--it's giving a little extra "tang" to the BBQ, but your limit for "kick" will determine how much to use.  I'm thinking 1/2 tsp - 1 Tbls per pound.

I served the marinade/sauce over the cooked pork, which is why I left large pieces of onion--yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Dave Wagner's Blog: My Thoughts on Your Screen by David N. Wagner is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.