Saturday, April 16, 2011

I watched Jesus Camp...

So, I finally watched the documentary Jesus Camp tonight. I had many mental notes for a blog post as I was watching, but I must admit that most of my thoughts were clearly articulated by the radio commentator featured in the film. So, I'll just post a few brief thoughts and reactions.

  1. I don't talk about "God" very often. Although I neither preach nor testify, I do live my life according to a set of values (Christian-based) and hope [have faith] that "God" would approve.
  2. If humans were created by God, then God blessed humans with intellectual capacity. Indoctrinating children to a particular viewpoint--and one that is human and thus fallible--is in contrast to the capacity with which we are blessed. I believe that children should be raised both with a set of values and with a willingness to seek truth and understanding. How can a person truly "find God" if "God" is something forced upon a developing mind?
  3. Jesus did not make war with religious enemies--he preached a message of love and lead by example. He died for his conviction rather than giving into hatred and conflict.
  4. There is actually much to admire in the conviction and value-driven behaviors of many religious conservatives. If I make a pros and cons list, I think my list of cons would still outweigh the pros, but it still leaves room for appreciation.
  5. I am fairly certain I could fall in love with a woman who experienced this kind of upbringing, but then discovered spiritual consciousness through the abandonment of religious doctrine. I'm pretty sure I'd get along well with her.
Those are my reactions. I highly recommend this film. I believe it was tastefully produced and would appeal (for different reasons) to a wide range of religious and political perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Dave Wagner's Blog: My Thoughts on Your Screen by David N. Wagner is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.